Sunday, July 18, 2010

Netanyahu blocks bill?

Dear Rabbi Schonfeld,

I am pleased to inform you that at the Cabinet meeting this morning the Prime Minister announced that the Conversion Bill (Rotem Bill) will divide the Jewish people, and should be opposed.

The Prime Minister informed Professor Yaakov Neeman, Minister of Justice, that the government has retracted its support for the bill in its current form.

As I have said in our conversations together, as well as in media interviews, I am in favor of reaching a compromise on this issue which will meet the main demands of all sides involved. Therefore, I am especially pleased that the bill in its current form will be removed from the agenda and hopefully revamped.

Thank you for bringing me your concerns on this issue and for all of your helpful comments.

Best wishes,

MK Yuli Edelstein
Minister of Public Diplomacy
And Diaspora Affairs

No comments: